Our daughter-in-law announced just after Christmas that she is expecting another baby boy. Two years ago I finished this star quilt and presented it for their baby boy born that year.
After recovering from my stem cell transplant in January, I knew I had a short time to make the new baby a quilt of his own. I like the shortcuts the Eleanor Burns comes up with, and remembered seeing a televised episode of her quilting show that featured the “Twin Sisters” quilt block. (You can watch it online here) Anything Eleanor says can be done quickly would work for me. After I completed the wall hanging for my niece I had less than 2 months left.
I intended to shop for fat quarters, but decided to dig into my scraps and see what I could find. I estimated about 50 blocks would be needed for a baby quilt. I found I had plenty of fabrics that I could cut up and use. I had already begun working again from home (love telecommuting!) so I only had evenings and weekends again to work on it. Here is a look at one of my first quilt block pairs:
You may have noticed my pinwheels spin backwards. Story of my life! Once I began that way, I had to continue that way. After sewing the strips, cutting blocks, cutting the diagonal, then sewing again, I ended up with 56 blocks, plenty to lay out for a baby quilt with some to spare. I really enjoy the shortcuts, making it slightly over-sized then trimming. Makes the blocks more accurate than I could normally accomplish!
I was able to incorporate some of the star patterned fabrics from big brother’s quilt, and also other fabrics the baby’s father might recognize from other projects.